Our Q3 survey of 2023 saw 24 ocean shipping experts, all ready to share their thoughts, insights and concerns about this challenging, but exciting industry.
Here’s what we found
The main concerns for shippers are:
- Global inflation and forecasted recession;
- Oil price development;
- Greenhouse gas reduction.
In terms of what’s going right in the maritime industry, shippers feel confident about:
- Mergers and acquisitions (M&A) in the freight forwarding sector;
- Premium and peak season surcharges;
- Quality of carriers’ customer service.
The survey indicates that global demand development is expected to have a more significant long-term influence than spot rate development. Moreover, shippers exhibit slightly higher confidence in predicting global port congestions compared to their projections for capacity, oversupply and blank sailing.
The long-term impact* of macroeconomic factors, such as inflation and recession, coupled with a high-level of uncertainty* surrounding them, is contributing to a decline in global demand.